Skip to main content

Child Maintenance Orders

Family Law Solicitors

In most cases the Child Maintenance Service (CMS) or the former Child Support Agency (CSA) will assist, but in some cases the CMS does not have the power to deal with child maintenance and therefore applications to the court may still be necessary. This could be where the absent parent lives abroad, has a high level of income which is above a specific level, or where you are seeking a contribution to school fees.

We always aim to settle your case out of court first. We aim to be amicable but if court proceedings are required then we are able to advise and help you with this process.

Schedule One of the Children Act 1989 empowers the court to order a parent of a child to make financial provision to or for the benefit of the child. The orders that can be made include; periodical payments, secured periodical payments, lump sums and transfer of property. In addition to this the court can order a parent to make a settlement for the benefit of a child.

Applications under Schedule One of the Children Act 1989 can be a powerful and useful resource for unmarried couples.

Contact Us

Contact us to discuss your circumstances and to find out more, call 01457 859 123 or email

Name *
Phone No. *
Email *
Department *
Message *

Contact Us

We're here to help!

Family Law Solicitors

Servicing Manchester, Derbyshire & Surrounding Areas

Including Glossop, Stockport, Buxton, Chesterfield, South Yorkshire, Cheshire & more