Helping You Every Step of the Way
Divorce proceedings can be daunting, stressful and emotional. It is for these reasons that you need to ensure you instruct a solicitor who is a family law expert. As with all our family law services you can be reassured that our solicitors are fully qualified and accredited by the Solicitors Regulation Authority. We have many years’ experience of handling divorce proceedings.
Modern Approach with Minimum Costs
Bakers Solicitors take a very modern approach to family law and divorce in particular. We recognise that our client wish to take advantage of IT and we embrace that.
Grounds for Divorce - Know the 5 Facts
The only grounds for divorce is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down. A divorce will only be granted if at least one of the 5 facts laid down by law is established. The 5 facts are:
- Your spouse has committed adultery and you find it intolerable to live with them
- Your spouse has behaved in such a way that it would be unreasonable to expect you to continue living together
- You have lived apart for two years or more and you both agree to there being a divorce
- Your spouse has deserted you for a period of two years or more
- You have lived apart for five years or more – a divorce can be secured whether your husband or wife agrees to there being a divorce or not.
When you are ready, we are able to draft all of the court documentation on your behalf. We guide you through each step of the process - from issuing the divorce petition at court, to serving the papers on your husband or wife, through to Decree Absolute, the final decree of divorce. In addition to the divorce process we advise about how best to handle financial matters and resolve any issues.
Helping Overcome Issues and Providing Solutions
Not all divorce proceedings are straightforward. For example your husband/wife may wish to defend the proceedings or, more commonly, fail to cooperate. At Bakers Solicitors we will help you overcome these issues and we aim to only provide solutions.
We are able to offer differing levels of service depending upon your requirements. Fixed fees are always available if preferred.
Family Law Solicitors
Including Glossop, Stockport, Buxton, Chesterfield, South Yorkshire, Cheshire & more